An opportunity to buy a brand-new PAL DVD of one of the great American comedies of the mid-1930s:
The Milky Way, 1936, starring Harold Lloyd
Running Time: approximately 87 minutes
The source material is very good – providing good picture quality and great sound quality.
Your brand-new DVD disc will be created from this source material (without any artwork), and will be supplied in a clear plastic wallet, NOT in a DVD case.
Note that the picture attached is for illustrative purposes only, and is therefore NOT included or offered with this listing.
IMPORTANT NOTE for American, Canadian and other non-Region 2 buyers:
You will need a multi-region DVD player to play this disc.
Directed by Leo McCarey
Screenplay by Grover Jones, Frank Butler and Richard Connell, based on a play of the same name by Lynn Root and Harry Clork which was presented on Broadway in 1934.
Sunflower Dairy milkman Burleigh Sullivan (Harold Lloyd), a failure in his job, rescues his sister Mae from two drunken boxers one night in front of a nightclub. Using a technique he developed as a child, Burleigh ducks when Spider Schultz swings at him, and Speed McFarland, a middleweight champion who is standing behind Spider, is knocked out. The incident makes national headlines and infuriates Speed's manager, Gabby Sloan (Adolphe Menjou), because he believes Speed's reputation is ruined. While delivering milk one night, Burleigh's horse 'Agnes' collapses, so he goes to a nearby apartment and uses Polly Pringle's phone to call for a veterinarian.…..
Please read all the details of this listing so you know exactly what you are buying.
What will I receive? Your film will come on a DVD-R disc in a plastic DVD sleeve with no artwork. The title of the film will be written on the sleeve for your convenience.
Region 2 - PAL
Note: This DVD does not contain any menus.
- This film is now in the PUBLIC DOMAIN.
- Original U. S. copyright registration date: 11 February 1936
- Original U.S. copyright number: LP6128
- Copyright claimant: Paramount Productions, Inc.
- In 1964, the copyright claimant, Paramount Productions, Inc., failed to renew its copyright registration in the 28th year after publication - that is in the 28th year after the film’s first release.
- Therefore, when a copyright expires or is not properly renewed, that work then falls into the public domain and can be freely reproduced, distributed, and displayed.
- Additional note: When producer Samuel Goldwyn bought the rights to the property in the mid-1940s for his remake, “The Kid from Brooklyn” as a starring vehicle for Danny Kaye, he also bought the original negative and almost all existing prints of “The Milky Way”, and destroyed them. Harold Lloyd, however, had preserved his own original nitrate release print …..
Harold Lloyd as Burleigh 'Tiger' Sullivan
Adolphe Menjou as Gabby Sloan (Speed's manager)
Verree Teasdale as Ann Westley
Helen Mack as Mae Sullivan (Burleigh's sister)
William Gargan as Speed McFarland (middleweight champ)
George Barbier as Wilbur Austin
Dorothy Wilson as Polly Pringle
Lionel Stander as Spider Schultz (Speed's bodyguard)
Charles Lane as Willard
Marjorie Gateson as Mrs. E. Winthrop Lemoyne